Chevron Announces First Oil From Dibi Field Onshore Nigeria

abarrelfullabarrelfull wrote on 31 Mar 2015 12:24

Latest News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"4","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}
  • Want a weekly review of refining news?

June 23, 1998 — Chevron announced today it has begun production from the Dibi oil field in the western Niger Delta. Dibi is the latest in a series of successful projects brought onto production this year by the Chevron/Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. (NNPC) joint venture. The Opolo field produced first oil in February, while the Gbokoda field was brought onto production through the ventures new Olero Creek facilities in April.

The Dibi start-up was achieved only two and a half years after the fields discovery in late 1995. To maximize efficiency, the field will initially utilize facilities previously employed in the Benin River field. Installation of full production facilities for Dibi will be completed in 1999, and the field will be developed with horizontal well technology.

Once compression facilities are commissioned, the Dibi field will become the joint ventures second zero-flare development, following Gbokodas lead. Dibi gas, produced in association with the oil, will be processed for commercial use through the Escravos Gas Project, inaugurated in May 1997 to reduce gas flaring and to commercialize Nigerias abundant gas resources.

"By the year 2000, Dibis output will increase the joint ventures total production by more than 65,000 barrels of oil per day (bpd)," said Richard Matzke, a director of Chevron Corp. and president of Chevron Overseas Petroleum Inc. "As with the other fields brought on production in 1998, the Dibi field will be a significant contribution towards Chevrons goal of producing an average of 600,000 bpd for the joint venture by the year 2000."

George Kirkland, chairman and managing director of Chevron Nigeria Ltd., noted that Chevrons application of concrete barge-mounted facilities in the Niger Delta has lowered project development costs, and has allowed the company to reuse facilities where needed.

"Once the Benin River wells were switched to the Olero Creek facilities," Kirkland said, "it took just three weeks to relocate the existing Benin River flowstation to Dibi, and to start-up production."

The Dibi field is one of three adjacent fields. The Benin River field, brought on production in 1996, currently produces 49,000 bpd. The Gbokoda field is on track to produce 40,000 bpd by year-end, and 85,000 bpd by 2000.

Production from the three fields is tied into a combination of new and existing facilities and transported via pipelines to the joint venture's tank farm and export terminal at Escravos. The fields are located in the OML-49 concession, which lies about 125 miles (200 kilometers) southeast of Lagos in the western Niger Delta. Chevron Nigeria Ltd. operates the Chevron/NNPC joint venture and has a 40 percent interest; NNPC holds the remaining 60 percent.

Related News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/tag\/upstream\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"3","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}

Looking for information on the E&P sector?

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License