ExxonMobil Units Announce New Gas Discovery, First Gas Production in UK Southern North Sea Fields

abarrelfullabarrelfull wrote on 25 Jun 2014 07:48

Latest News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/killajoules.wikidot.com\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"4","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}
  • Want a weekly review of refining news?

Dec. 17, 2003

Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) announced today that its subsidiary, Mobil North Sea Limited (MNSL), has made a gas discovery in the Southern sector of the North Sea, following the successful testing of an exploration well in Block 53/2.

The exploration well is located 5 miles southeast of the MNSL-operated Camelot field, about 32 miles east of Bacton, England. The well encountered gas in the Rotliegend reservoir and tested at 65 million cubic feet per day on an 80/64-inch choke. Data analysis and additional studies are being conducted to fully evaluate this discovery, and it is expected that this work will take several weeks. MNSL is the operator of the well with 70 percent interest, with co-venturer EOG Resources, Inc. holding the remaining 30 percent.

A second ExxonMobil unit, Esso Exploration and Production UK Limited, has participated in the production of first gas from the Carrack natural gas field, a Shell Exploration & Production-operated project, also located in the Southern North Sea.

The Carrack field lies in a relatively remote area about 75 miles northeast of Bacton off the English coast, close to the UK/Dutch border. It holds estimated resources of around 300 billion cubic feet of natural gas, which will be exported from the field to the U.K. mainland.

The project has been developed around a central "hub" platform located over the Carrack field from which four additional wells are expected to be drilled within the next year, with the capacity for more wells if required. A second, smaller platform acts as a receiving facility for the Carrack gas production. These new platforms and the 50-mile Carrack pipeline will facilitate tiebacks of any future fields or exploration discoveries in the area.
Esso has a 48 percent equity interest in the project, with Shell Exploration & Production holding the balance.

Commenting on these announcements, Andrew Swiger, chairman and production director of ExxonMobil International Limited, said, "ExxonMobil is the largest net producer of oil and gas in Europe, and the Camelot and Carrack projects will contribute to our key asset and production base in the North Sea's UK sector."

ExxonMobil is also one of the largest producers of oil and gas in the UK, with interests in around 90 fields. In addition to its operatorship of the Camelot field, MNSL also operates several other producing assets in the Southern North Sea: the Lancelot, Guinevere, Excalibur, Galahad and Malory Fields; and the Thames field complex and the Welland platform off the Norfolk coast.

In the Northern North Sea, MNSL operates the Beryl Alpha and Beryl Bravo platforms and the SAGE gas system and terminal at St. Fergus.

Related News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/killajoules.wikidot.com\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/tag\/upstream\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"3","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}

Looking for information on the E&P sector?

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License