J. Ray McDermott Completes Devils Tower Spar Project

abarrelfullabarrelfull wrote on 26 Feb 2013 10:10

Latest News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/killajoules.wikidot.com\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"4","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}
  • Want a weekly review of refining news?

Feb. 9, 2004

J. Ray McDermott, S.A. ("J. Ray"), a subsidiary of McDermott International Inc. (NYSE:MDR) ("McDermott"), announced today that it has completed and handed over the Devils Tower Spar platform. SparTEC, a subsidiary of J. Ray McDermott, provided overall project management for the design, engineering, procurement, fabrication, installation and commissioning of the offshore production facility, which is the world's deepest spar, located in 5,610 feet of water in the Gulf of Mexico.

"The completion of Devils Tower is yet another major benchmark for the J. Ray McDermott team," said Bob Deason, president and chief operating officer of J. Ray. "It is the second of three spar projects that we have delivered successfully to our clients over the past several months, with the third project, Front Runner, slated for completion later this year. As each of these projects comes to a close, J. Ray solidifies its position as a premier provider of offshore solutions in our industry."

The design of the Devils Tower facility, consisting of hull, mooring system, topsides and production facilities, utilized proprietary technology designed to provide operators with leading edge development solutions in water depths of up to 9,000 feet. The hull, which was constructed at J. Ray's Batam Island, Indonesia facility, is 586 feet in length, 94 feet in diameter and weighed over 11,000 tons at the time of installation. The topside, which weighs over 9,300 tons (maximum payload, including drilling rig), was prefabricated in subassemblies at J. Ray's Veracruz, Mexico facility, then assembled and outfitted at its Harbor Island facility near Corpus Christi, Texas. The platform mooring piles and production riser buoyancy can systems were also fabricated at J. Ray's facility in Mexico.

J. Ray completed the offshore lift and set of the topsides on Nov. 30, 2003, utilizing its Derrick Barge 50 and Shearleg crane with a combined lift capacity of over 7,000 tons. J. Ray also conducted the hookup and commissioning of the platform.

The Devils Tower field, operated by Dominion Exploration & Production Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Dominion (NYSE:D), is a deepwater development located in Mississippi Canyon Block 773 approximately 150 miles south of Mobile, Ala., and is capable of producing 60,000 barrels of oil plus 60 million cubic feet of gas per day. Dominion expects start of production in mid to late second quarter. Dominion E&P owns 75 percent of the Devils Tower field with partner Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE:PXD) owning the remaining 25 percent interest.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License