Nexen Announces Achievement of Two Important Milestones at Long Lake

abarrelfullabarrelfull wrote on 07 Aug 2013 07:20

Latest News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"4","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}
  • Want a weekly review of refining news?

June 26, 2012 /CNW/ - Nexen Inc. (TSX, NYSE: NXY) today announced that we have reached two major milestones in our plan to fill the Long Lake upgrader: first oil production from pad 12 and first steam into pad 13.

We exceeded our expectations for first production from pad 12 with conversion of wells to SAGD after approximately 70 days of steam circulation versus our previous experience of approximately 90 to 120 days. The acceleration was due to new completion technologies and processes that will now be the standard for future wells. Currently three of the nine wells are in production with the remainder expected to be converted over the next few weeks as we install the electronic submersible pumps.

Steam injection on pad 13 is also ahead of schedule primarily as a result of the efficiency of steam utilization on the pad 12 start-up. We are now steaming all nine wells on the pad. First bitumen production is expected later this year. Production from pads 12 and 13 is expected to ramp-up to full rates over an 18 to 24 month period.

"Exceeding expectations on these two milestones is a significant accomplishment. We continue to see real progress at Long Lake," said Kevin Reinhart, Nexen's interim President & CEO.

The Long Lake project is also progressing in other areas. Pad 11 continues to ramp-up and is trending towards the upper end of our expected range of 4,000 to 8,000 bbls/d. On pads 14, 15 and Kinosis 1A, we are progressing site civil work and engineering, and expect to start drilling mid-summer. Steam injection is expected on pads 14 and 15 in the second half of 2013, with Kinosis 1A following by mid-year 2014.

Nexen has a 65% working interest in both Long Lake and Kinosis and is the operator. The remaining 35% interest is held by CNOOC Canada Inc.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License