Oil Discovery in Algeria's Ghadames Basin Announced by ARCO, TPAO and Sonatrach

abarrelfullabarrelfull wrote on 09 Aug 2012 06:14

Latest News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/killajoules.wikidot.com\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"4","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}
  • Want a weekly review of refining news?

21 July 1997

An exploration well has been successfully drilled and tested for oil on the Hassi Bir Rekaiz block in Algeria's Ghadames Basin, it was announced today by ARCO (NYSE: ARC), TPAO and Sonatrach, Algeria's national oil and gas company.

The Semhari-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 4,065 meters (13,337 feet) approximately 120 kilometers (74 miles) northeast of Hassi Messaoud, Algeria's largest oil field. The well tested oil at a cumulative rate of 1,539 barrels per day from two zones. Further exploration work is required to determine if the discovery is commercial.

Semhari-1 is the third well of ARCO's five-well exploration drilling program underway on the Hassi Bir Rekaiz and Guerrara blocks in eastern Algeria.

Los Angeles-based ARCO holds a 75% working interest in Hassi Bir Rekaiz under a 1992 production sharing contract with Sonatrach. TPAO, the national oil company of Turkey, holds the remaining 25% interest.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License