ConocoPhillips Announces Delayed Coking License

abarrelfullabarrelfull wrote on 23 Dec 2011 08:57
Tags: brazil conoco engineering petrobras refinery s-america

Latest News

{"module":"feed\/FeedModule","params":{"src":"http:\/\/\/feed\/pages\/pagename\/blog%3A_start\/category\/blog\/limit\/10\/t\/My+Blog","limit":"3","module_body":"* %%linked_title%%"}}
  • Want a weekly review of refining news?

ConocoPhillips [NYSE:COP] today announced a license agreement with Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras) for a grassroots 31,450 barrel per day (BPD) delayed coking unit at its Pres. Getúlio Vargas Refinery (REPAR) in Araucaria, Paraná, Brazil. The terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Part of a large-scale expansion project, the new coking unit will utilize ConocoPhillips’ proprietary ThruPlus® Delayed Coking Technology in order to increase the refinery’s production of gasoline and diesel fuels as well as produce anode-grade, green petroleum coke. Projected start-up of the unit is slated for 2009.

“Significant technological advances in delayed coking pioneered by ConocoPhillips are making it possible for world-class refineries like REPAR to process even heavier feedstocks while increasing throughput, improving safety and reducing environmental emissions,” said Brian Evans, manager, ConocoPhillips Technology Solutions. “Our 50-plus years of experience in delayed coking give us every confidence in the reliability, flexibility, safety and overall economics of the technology.”

ConocoPhillips' ThruPlus Coking Process is an advanced thermal process for upgrading low-value, heavy hydrocarbon residues into high-value, light hydrocarbon liquids. The process has a proven track record of safety and environmental advancements, and achieves higher unit throughput, higher liquid yields and improved unit reliability for both grassroots facilities and existing coking units.

REPAR, which has a total crude oil production capacity 196,000 BPD, is responsible for approximately 12 percent of the country’s national production of petroleum byproducts, selling 85 percent of its products to the states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Mato Grosso do Sul, in addition to the southern region of São Paulo. The remaining 15 percent is supplied to other regions of Brazil or is exported. Main products produced are LPG, gasoline, diesel fuel, fuel oils, jet fuel, asphalt and naphtha.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License